You must have cookies enabled for the site to work properly.
How To Protect your Pets in an Emergency Situation
Tuesday June 15, 2021
Disasters can strike with little notice, affecting not only our lives, but also our pets. Many of these emergency situations are very hard to forecast, but by remaining educated and making a plan, you can be prepared for the unexpected.
Here are a few pointers to ensure that you and your pets are prepared:
• If you must evacuate your home in the event of a disaster, the best approach to protect your pets is to take them with you. It's not safe to leave pets behind if it's not safe for you to stay behind.
• In the event of an emergency, find out which hotels and motels along your evacuation route can welcome pets. If you think you'll need to evacuate, make bookings ahead of time.
• Should an emergency arise, know who can care for your animals if you are unable... Friends, relatives, boarding facilities, animal shelters or veterinarians. Make a list of all the phone numbers you'll need.
• Should you have more than one pet and they are more comfortable together, you may have to be prepared to separate them.
• Participate with your pets in evacuation drills, so that they learn how to become accustomed to entering and exiting their carriers without any problems.
• Check that your pet's immunizations are up to date, and that all dogs and cats are wearing collars with secure fastenings and current identification. To prevent disease from spreading, many pet shelters request confirmation of recent immunizations.
• Ask your veterinarian about having your pet "microchipped."
June is National Pet Preparedness Month - Click Here To Learn How To Protect Your Pet During Disaster Emergencies
When traveling with your pet, make sure to follow these guidelines:
• Crates or carriers should be used for all cats.
• Dogs can be secured in a specific harness that attaches to the seat belt or in a crate or carrier. If you use a pet barrier in the back seat or on the deck of your SUV, be sure it's secure so it won't collapse fall on your pet.
• Allowing your pet to ride in the front passenger seat is never a good idea.
• Don't allow your pet out of the car without proper restraint.
• Allowing your pet to travel with their head out of the car window may cause injury due to flying debris.
• If you're traveling a long distance, make frequent stops so your pet may stretch his legs and drink some water.
Put together an emergency supply kit for your pets:
Keep products in an immediately accessible location and keep them in durable containers that are easy to carry. The following items should be included in your kit:
• Strong leashes and harnesses
• Food, water, bowls and a can opener
• Cat litter/pan
• All pet medical records kept in a waterproof container
• A first aid kit expressly for your pet
• In case your pet(s) goes missing, keep up-to-date pictures of you with them. Because many pets have similar appearances, this will help to prevent misidentification and confusion.
• Pet beds and some of their favorite toys
ProPac First Aid Kit For Pets
First aid from nose to tail!
44-piece animal first aid kit includes all the special items your pets may need in the event of an accident.
• Wound care items
• Peroxide for vomiting
• Pet first aid guide
Click Here To Purchase Online
ProPac Two-Door Pet Crate
ProPac 2-door pet crates provide easy access from end or side-really handy wherever space is limited. Foldable crate provides maximum safety, comfort and security for your pet. The crate features rounded corners and slide bolt security latches to which you can add locks. The collapsible suitcase style design of this metal pet crate has carry handles, sets up quickly and is easy to fold and carry.
• Dual door design for easy access
• Slide bolt door latches can be secured with locks (not included)
• Easy clean ABS plastic floor pan
• Powder coated steel frame is highly scratch and corrosion resistant
• Suitcase style design with carry handle is simple to fold and carry or store.
• Easy to assemble without any tools, lightweight
Click Here To Purchase Online