You must have cookies enabled for the site to work properly.
Pet First Aid Kit Tips
Tuesday October 18, 2022
Most of us know it’s important to keep a first aid kit in our homes and vehicles in case of emergency. Having the ability to clean and cover a small wound can prevent infection, but would you be able to do the same thing for your pets? Having a first aid kit dedicated to your pets can be more important than you think. Being able to provide initial aid to your pet when a serious injury occurs can be a lifesaving difference. To do this, you’ll need both supplies and training.
Many agencies, local and national, offer pet first aid courses that you can take online or in-person. Look up local animal societies in your area for in-person training. The Red Cross offers online training that takes about 35 minutes to complete. Red Cross states that the benefits of this course are:
- Learn how to check your pet's vital signs, how to conduct preventative care for your pets, and how to recognize and provide first aid for the most severe emergencies your pet may experience.
- Red Cross digital certification provided upon completion - access anytime, anywhere!
- Desktop and tablet compatibility providing flexibility to access how, when, and where you want to take the course.
- Log-in anytime to review course material.
- Content developed by the American Red Cross team of scientific and medical experts.
Always remember that any first aid administered to your pet should be followed by immediate veterinary care. First aid care is not a substitute for veterinary care, but it may save your pet's life until it receives veterinary treatment.
Pet First Aid Supplies
Once you have some pet first aid knowledge, you can begin to build a pet first aid kit. ProPac sells two different pet first aid kits, one is a pouch kit and the other is a slightly larger kit in a soft-shell case. Use this guide to prepare a pet first aid kit for your furry friends:
· Non-stick bandages
· Adhesive tape
· Cotton balls
· Antibiotic spray/ointment
· Insect Sting Wipes
· Waste Bags
· Slip Leash
· Travel Bowl
Prepare Your Pets
Here at ProPac we love our furry friends and treat them as an extension of our family. We even have a section of our shop dedicated to pet safety items that can be found here.