Tuesday November 22, 2022
Thanksgiving in the USA is for spending time with family, relaxing, and eating great food. It’s important to consider safety still though as things can get hectic on Thanksgiving with all the traveling and cooking. There’s a reason you see so many fire and police department PSAs about cooking fires and driving safely during this time of year. There is usually a spike in fires and accidents across America during Thanksgiving.
According to stats from State Farm Insurance, Thanksgiving Is the #1 day of the year for cooking fires. This mainly stems from deep fryer accidents:
“The U.S. Fire Department confirms that more than 4,000 fires occur on Thanksgiving Day and preparing deep fried turkeys, using a turkey fryer, is the cause of approximately 5 deaths, 50 injuries, and the destruction of 900 homes and more than $15 million in property damage every year.” (WeeklySafety)
To prevent fires in the kitchen, follow these tips:
· Always monitor food being cooked, never leave the house while something is cooking
· Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
· Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen
· Keep floors free of tripping and slipping hazards
· Read instructions for your deep fryer and be sure to follow them
· Use protective equipment like mitts or potholders when handling hot pans
It’s also important to be aware of the threat of food poisoning, allergies, choking, and other food-related hazards.
Food preparation safety tips:
· Wash hands before and after handling raw meat
· Cook turkey and other meats to a minimum internal temperature of 165 Fahrenheit
· Store leftovers after cooking and only keep them for a week or less in the fridge
Be prepared to drive cautiously over the holidays as more drivers will be distracted, rushed, and sometimes even intoxicated. One of the most dangerous habits today is texting and driving, don’t do it. It should also go without saying, but never drink and drive, it’s not worth the safety of yourself, your passengers, and other drivers on the road.
From our family to yours, ProPac wishes you a happy and relaxing Thanksgiving. This time of year can be very stressful and exhausting so be sure to take care of yourself and those around you.