Preparedness Tips Before & After a Flood
Monday March 6, 2023
Recent snowfall can significantly impact the likelihood and severity of flooding. If there is a sudden warm-up or heavy rainfall, the melting snow can add a significant amount of water to rivers, streams, and other bodies of water, increasing the risk of flooding. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind before and after a flood.
Before a flood:
1. Check local weather reports: Stay updated on weather forecasts and be prepared for sudden changes in temperature or rainfall.
2. Monitor snowpack conditions: Keep track of how much snow is in the area and monitor snowmelt rates.
3. Create a flood plan: Develop a flood emergency plan that includes evacuation routes, communication methods, and emergency contacts. In the event of an evacuation, it is also important to have a plan in place for how to transport any necessary items or pets.
4. Prepare an emergency kit: Pack essential items such as food, water, medication, first-aid supplies, and radio in a waterproof container.
5. Secure your property: Move important items and valuables to higher ground, turn off utilities, and sandbag vulnerable areas.
Stay safe during and after a flood:
1. Avoid walking or driving through floodwater: Just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and just one foot of moving water can carry away some vehicles.
2. Stay away from power lines: Electrical currents can travel through water, so avoid electrical equipment and lines during a flood.
3. Use caution when returning home: If evacuated, only return home when local authorities have said it is safe to do so. Be cautious when entering your home, and look for any structural damage or hazards.
4. Use boiled or bottled water: Listen for boil water advisories, only use bottles, boiled or treated water for drinking and cooking.
5. Clean up safely: You should clean and disinfect everything that has been touched by floodwater, including any furniture, floors, and walls. Be sure to wear protective clothing and gloves while cleaning.
In the aftermath of a flood, proper cleanup is essential to prevent further damage and health hazards. The ProPac Cleanup Kit includes a bucket, trash bags, rubber gloves, N95 respirator mask, sponges, all-purpose cleaner, mop, push broom, squeegee attachment, extra telescoping handles and work gloves. These items are necessary for a thorough and safe cleaning process. The kit is an excellent resource for those affected by flooding, as it provides the most needed tools to effectively clean up after a flood.
Remember that flood waters are powerful and unpredictable. It's important to stay vigilant and take necessary precautions to keep yourself and your property safe.